[Peace-discuss] Commentaries on the imperial presidency.

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Wed Dec 21 11:06:19 CST 2005

Entries taken from burbules at gmail.com, to which you can subscribe.

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian_wings/2005/12/sos.html
[Katherine] We have a President here who is making a claim of
unlimited power, for the duration of a war that may never end.  Oh,
he says it's limited by the country's laws, but they've got a crack
legal team that reliably interprets the laws to say that the
President gets to do whatever he wants. It amounts to the same
thing. . .

September 11 started the war. When will it end? Maybe never. Where is
the battlefield? The entire world, including the United States. Who
is an enemy combatant?  Anyone the President says is an enemy
combatant, including a U.S. citizen--no need for a charge, no need
for a trial, no need for access to a lawyer. What if they're found
not to be an enemy combatant? We can keep them in prison anyway, and
we don't have to tell their families they're alive or their lawyers
that they were cleared.  What can you do to an enemy combatant?
Anything you want. Detain him forever, for the rest of his life,
because this is a war like any other and we have always been able to
detain POWs for the duration of the war. But you don't need to follow
the Geneva Conventions, because this is a war like no other in our
history. And oh yes--if the President decides that we need to torture
a prisoner for the war effort, it's unconstitutional for Congress to
stop him. They took that position in an official memo, and they have
not backed down from it. They have said it was "unnecessary" but they
have never backed down from it.

They are not only entitled to do these things to people; they are
entitled to do them in secret.  When Congress asks for information
about them, they can just ignore it. And they are entitled to
actively deceive the public about all this. . . That's the power they
claim.

http://blogs.salon.com/0000014/2005/12/20.html#a957
[Scott Rosenberg] In order to understand the nature of the strange
constitutional crisis President Bush has dragged the country into
through his bizarre extralegal domestic surveillance program, you
have to dig into the vaults of your brain's American history
storehouse and drag out the word "nullification." The doctrine of
nullification, a legal concept that enjoyed a brief moment in the sun
in the antebellum South, held that individual states had the power to
disregard, or "nullify," federal laws that they didn't like. . .

Today, the Bush administration has been steered into dangerous waters
by veterans of the Nixon/Ford era, like Dick Cheney and Donald
Rumsfeld, who have pursued a decades-long quest to reassert the
glories of the imperial presidency they cherished as young men and
then saw shamed and dismantled in the aftermath of Watergate. Most
Americans at the time concluded from that scandal of executive
privilege that absolute power corrupts absolutely; Cheney and
Rumsfeld believed instead that Watergate had crippled and emasculated
the presidency. 9/11 gave them an opportunity to bring back the good
old days of enemies' lists, intelligence-doctoring and (now we know)
domestic surveillance -- and even to extend the tradition of the
imperial presidency into hitherto unexplored regions of White House-
sanctioned torture, indefinite imprisonment without trial, and war
without end.

And so we find ourselves entering a period of conflict with peculiar
overtones of that "nullification" period. Only now it's not the
states attempting to usurp the federal authority; in the Bush version
of nullification, it's the Executive Branch that has begun to claim
for itself the arbitrary and absolute right to disregard the explicit
will of the legislature -- not through the exercise of constitutional
veto but through secrecy, legal chicanery and sheer chutzpah. . .