[Peace-discuss] Letter from Not In My Name member to Chicago Tribune

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 25 20:07:12 CST 2005

A letter I sent to the Chicago Tribune today:

The short article, "Israeli Wall shadows Christmas
pilgrims," states (12/25/05 sec.1 p.6) that "Israel
erected [the Wall] to keep attackers out of its
cities
"  Joining others, including many Israelis, I
do not agree with this statement.  What is true is
that Israel claims that it has erected the Wall for
security purposes.  Many of us believe that the Wall
is really part of a lengthy project to steal as much
land from Palestinians as possible while constructing
an Apartheid regime that forces them into small,
isolated, outdoor prisons.

For Israelis and Palestinians, the issues are ones of
environmental, economic, and social catastrophe.  For
we Americans, the issue is that our tax dollars are
paying for it.  And for we Jews, the issue is one of
the profound moral decay of our community.

Chanukah, the Jewish Festival of Lights that began on
Sunday night, is the story of how large things can
grow from tiny ones.  The Anti-Israeli-Apartheid
movement is a small flame today.  Few people think it
can last.  But soon it will be an international beacon
of light that will help liberate both Palestinians and
Israelis.

Joel R Finkel
finkel at sd-il.com