[Peace-discuss] The Christmas He Dreamed for All of Us

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Mon Dec 26 17:22:37 CST 2005

Since this has surfaced, I'm impelled to comment,although I think it
not pertinent to peace-discuss--

I take with a grain of salt Carl's statement which implies the
benevolence of an imperial early Christianity:

> …Xy has generally been syncretistic in that sense.  As one of
> the patristic writers put it, 'anima naturaliter christiana'
> -- human nature is naturally Christian -- and so should
> include what is best in human achievement.

The final destruction of the ancient Library at Alexandria, a pagan
marvel, is a major instance which belies the benevolent syncretism of
the early church. This library, harboring much of the knowledge of
the ancient world, had to be destroyed because all aspects of
paganism were considered abominable. Christianity, like other
conquering creeds, not only borrowed from the past, but destroyed
much (of value) from the past. Quoting Micropedia:

…In the late 4th century, persecution of pagans by Christians had
reached new levels of intensity. Temples and statues were destroyed
throughout the Roman Empire, pagan rituals forbidden under punishment
of death, and libraries closed. In 391, Emperor Theodosius ordered
the destruction of all pagan temples, and Patriarch Theophilus of
Alexandria complied with this request.…

The knowledge lost was only slowly regained in the late middle ages,
mainly by transmission from the Arabic world.

Around the same period, Hypatia, an erudite librarian of the Library,
had a cruel fate at the hands of Christians: From http://
www.astr.ua.edu/4000WS/HYPATIA.html.

Natural Philosopher (355? - 415 CE)

…one of the more romantic figures in science. She was the daughter of
Theon, a mathematician who taught at the great school at the
Alexandrine Library. She traveled widely and corresponded with people
all over the Mediterranean. We know of her only through her letters
because all of her work was destroyed when the Great Library of
Alexandia was destroyed.

She taught at the school in the Library in Alexandria, Egypt. Letters
written and addressed simply to the philosopher were delivered to
her. She taught mathematics and natural philosophy. She is credited
with the authorship of three major treatises on geometry and algebra
and one on astronomy. She invented several tools: an instrument for
distilling water, an instrument to measure the specific gravity of
water, an astrolabe and a planisphere.

She died violently. She was dragged to her death by a mob who pulled
her from her classroom into the streets where they peeled her to
death with oyster shells.
She wrote that

All formal dogmatic religions are fallacious and must never be
accepted by self-respecting persons as final.

Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than
not to think at all.

To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing.

––mkb