[Peace-discuss] can Christianity be part of a pluralistic society?

janine giordano jgiord2 at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 29 14:16:17 CST 2005

It seems like some of us are tired of arguing
with "fanatics," and I respect that. But, others are tired of
being called "fanatics" when we have multifaceted ideas that
we are willing to discuss within the language of logic about
justice, plurality and humanity. We are tired of having to
closet our spiritual beliefs/ worldly motivation when
discussing our opinions on matters of progressive political
strategy. Of course, we have always known that coalition
building is hard work. To me, it's not about compromise but
alignment on a couple key points for a greater cause. If the
cause is better political enfranchisement for minorities,
women, people with disabilities and disadvantaged economic
status, US withdrawal from Iraq, and better opportunities for
education, jobs, judiciary representation and power sharing
for people from groups historically underrepresented, can we
not have different religious identities?

I believe that we need to have conversations on our
differences, but we also need to have conversations on what
we have in common. Someone just noted many frustrations non-
born again Progressives have with Christians who carry their
spiritual beliefs into their political motivations. I think
each point he enumerates is worth serious discussion. But, I
do not agree that simply because many of us are frustrated
with these fundamentalist beliefs, ALL born-again Christians
ought not to be taken seriously politically. In my opinion,
we need to engage in conversation with these fundamentalist
beliefs. We might need to severely limit the rights of some
of them in the court of law, and others might be human
rights. Here are some of my responses, speaking ONLY for
myself.

The original question was "What is so threatening about
Christianity?" Some further questions...

 Because it leads to calls to overthrow the US government in
favor of
>Biblical law.

So, are we saying that biblical law fundamentally opposes to
that of our Constitution? Or, we desire our government to
oppose that of the Bible? Or, is this idea that the Bible has
no place in our worldly government simply a matter of the way
we would like to think of our country's identity?

>  Because it leads to calls to stone homosexuals in the
streets.

Just people some people have certain attitudes towards how
holy homosexuality is does not mean they have the
constitutional right to stone homosexuals in the streets. Can
we divide the belief from the criminal behavior?

>  Because it leads to calls to allow women to die in
delivery wards.

Can you explain this a bit more?

>  Because it leads to calls to withhold funding for academic
institutions
>based on religious tests.

I think the issue of funding for academic institutions is far
greater than faith-based tests. We have huge issues of social
justice in education that we hardly discuss these days--
segregation seems to be getting more and more rigid
regionally and racially. Isn't this issue a tiny part of the
huge inequalities we end up ignoring by worrying about this
problem? (I do agree this is worth discussing too, though...
I'm just concerned that we waste our time fighting the
wrong "beast.")

>  Because it leads to eviscerating our crucial science
curricula in favor of
>fairy stories.

What are we really fighting over here? By now, most kids know
the two sides of the evolution/creation debate. Most of us
did when we were growing up, too. (right?) What's wrong with
accepting that science is based on axiomatic truths at some
point, if not at many points, of the puzzle of academic
scholarship? Do we NEED agreement here?

>  Because it leads to withholding antiimplantation drugs in
emergencies like
>rape and forcible incest.

Who is to blame for rape and forcible incest? Can't we come
to a whole lot more common ground than we recognize? Why do
we blame Christians for trying to protect life---and realize
we have some common enemies in this horrible problem of rape
and incest?

>  Because it leads to real and fake Anthrax attacks and
murder of health
>workers.

What does this have to do with Christians again?

>  Because it leads to sectarian violence all over the world.

How?

>  And, last but not least, because it's false.  Jews and
Muslims worship the
>same God, despite current rampant religious propaganda to
the contrary, most
>of it produced by 'christians' (note small C).

OK, so that's your opinion. I respect it, though I don't
share it. I acknowledge that my faith is personal. I think
more of us need to discsus the boundaries between our faith
and political beliefs how to build a society of plurality and
justice. Must Christians closet their real life motivations
for their engagement in politics, or can we engage with
people of faith in making a more egalitarian, power-sharing
oriented, pluralistic democracy?