[Peace-discuss] Chomsky arguments.

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Tue Feb 1 23:43:51 CST 2005

It may be true that now, in retrospect, most Americans agree that the
aggression in Iraq was a mistake (or, perhaps better, not the
aggression, but the incompetence and shortsightedness of the
aggression), but at the time, or shortly thereafter, they supported the
war (same for the first Gulf war and in Yugoslavia, etc.), they bought
into the propaganda so easily. Of course, one can say that they were
deviously manipulated, but I have the sense that they were too ready to
be manipulated by an education which is overly proud of the imperialist
history of the United States, by a certain nationalist fundamentalism,
and by a lack of empathy with, a dismissal of, the downtrodden of the
world. U.S. citizens, generalizing of course,  haven't suffered enough
recently. Probably one of the reasons the Europeans are more appalled
at our actions is that their suffering from war is still not so remote.
    Part of our cultural heritage is, despite Vietnam, triumphalism,
"America uber alles". A sense that the almighty is conflated with us,
i.e. Power, corrupts….

But yes, we have to work to change all this.

mkb