[Peace-discuss] FREE Cajun Waltz (Baisse Bas) and 2-step (6-count) Workshop

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Sun Feb 6 13:35:33 CST 2005

Hi Dancers, Music Lovers, and Friends,

Please join us 8-9p on Tuesday, February 15th.  I'm giving a FREE workshop on less-common patterns of the Cajun/Creole Waltz and 2-Step.  We have a perfect space, Room 314 Illini Union.

I will be teaching an old waltz pattern, the Baisse Bas, which is French for "bend low," which combines 3 "bend" steps -- slight lean to one side -- followed by 5 walking steps, and the 6-Count 2-Step, sometimes called The Mammou.  Both of these give a different feeling, as the steps fit the rhythm -- but not the phrase -- of the music.  I'll also briefly review the standard Cajun waltz and 2-step.

BTW, this will be great preparation for the The Redstick Ramblers dance on Thursday, March 3rd @ Channing Murray!!  RSRs play Cajun - Gypsy - Swing music.  Watch for flyers!  There will be a 7- 8p workshop preceding this dance, which will focus on the standard patterns of the Cajun waltz and 2-step. If there's interest, I'll review the Baisse Bas and 6-count 2-step as well.

No partner, experience, special attire/footwear, or registration is required for any of the above.  All ages are welcome.  Free parking is available in U of I lots and parking garages.  If you park on the street, remember to feed the meter.

Questions?  E-me @ <jencart at mycidco.com> or phone 352-2803.

Thanks,
Jenifer C.