[Peace-discuss] YMCA partners with ARMY

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 12 08:33:09 CST 2005

While there is some small percentage of people who join the military out of
financial desparation, recent reports detailing how people my age (and
younger) in the army have behaved reveal that, in fact, they think life is a
video game and their intent is to score some kills. This makes my fellow
countrymen sound like "little Eichmann" in my mind.

And before the ACLU made a drastic shift to the right, a la Sierra Club,
they had a firm grasp on what free speech is. In fact, if anyone's actually
bothered to read the philosophical texts at the backdrop of liberalism, you
realize that "free speech" is an INDIVIDUAL's right to be used in DEFENSE
against tyrannous institutions LIKE government, the military, and
corporations. As such, corporations shouldnt have this right (though they
do), and the world's largest killing machine should not have that same
right. They don't need it.

Now if these recruiters were individuals out there with their own grassroots
organization trying to promote the causes of the military or something:
that's fine. But such is not the case.

Although, I can imagine that the Uni administration (supposedly "liberal",
though happily presiding over Chief Illiniwek, etc etc) would use the free
speech card to defend this inane intrusion.

And no reason to have the military removed. Just showing up alongside with
photos of some of the things people can expect from a life in the military
is your free speech allowing everyone else to not be lied to. It's a public
service.