[Peace-discuss] RE: Forgiveness Weekend program schedule

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 21:40:19 CST 2005

Carl,

Aaron Ammons gave an excellent interview on this week's IMC Radio News that
might answer some of your questions about Forgiveness Weekend.  In a
nutshell, the felonies in questions are non-violent victimless crimes such
as drug possession.  The main questions of disenfranchisement are in
employment and housing.  Aaron raised the important point that forgiveness
is a two-way street--there also needs to be atonement by the felon and a
mending of the ways.  Reverend Bevel and the other speakers are expected to
address issues of atonement as well.

I hadn't planned to attend the events, but after reading the exchanges in
the Peace-Discuss list, I definitely want to hear Reverend Bevel and the
others speak, and I encourage everyone reading this list to attend, too.  I
know of Bevel's past associations, but I have an open mind, and I want to
hear what he has to say.

Clifford Thornton will also be holding a discussion this Sunday at 1 PM at
the IMC before his 3 PM keynote speech at Forgiveness Weekend and the 5 PM
AWARE meeting.  If this schedule has changed, please correct me.

To Danielle, I say don't be discouraged.  Although Carl has been harsh, he's
just one individual, and he doesn't represent AWARE as a whole on this
issue.  Don't lose any more sleep or work time over it.  He needs
forgiveness as much as the rest of us.

--Phil