[Peace-discuss] local folks on Media Matters

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 18 09:57:52 CST 2005

Bob McChesney's "Media Matters" which airs on local public radio station
WILL (580AM) Sunday at 1pm will feature a discussion about community radio
and independent media.
Paul Riismandel, Mike Lehman and I are guests. It was taped a last week and
I thought it was a really interesting show. Hope you can catch it.
Sandra

This week on Media Matters we are joined by three local community
radio activists:

Sandra Ahten has been a producer of IMC Radio News for over 3 years.
Currently she also serves as a coordinator who recruits and trains
journalists in addition to writing and producing news. Her community
radio experiences also include producing an hour-long radio
documentary on the death penalty and a seven-year involvement with
WEFT where she was a member of the Programming Committee, served as a
Public Service Announcement Coordinator, hosted a music show, and was
a host of the WEFT Courier.

Urbana-Champaign IMC www.ucimc.org
UC IMC Volunteer/Contact page for all IMC-associated groups:
http://www.ucimc.org/mod/info/display/volunteer/

*********

Mike Lehman is a long-time community resident currently pursuing a
doctorate in history at UIUC. He is a founding member of the Urbana-
Champaign Independent Media Center and is hoping his long-time
interest in all types of radio will help expand access by the
community to the public airwaves via Radio Free Urbana.

Radio Free Urbana list address for info/inquiries: rfu at ucimc.org
To join the Radio Free Urbana email list:
WRFU Public Meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday's of the
month at 8pm at the UC IMC, 218 West Main Street, #110, Urbana, IL
61801. Non-English speakers are encouraged to attend. Tax-deductible
donations made out to "Urbana-Champaign IMC" with "WRFU" marked
clearly can be sent to the above address.

*********

Paul Riismandel has been involved in noncommercial radio and
independent media for over 15 years. He has been active at WEFT for
more than 10 years, where he has served as the chair of WEFT's
Programming Committee and coordinated several pledge drives.
Currently he hosts the weekly media issues program Mediageek, which
airs Fridays at 5:30 PM on WEFT. http://www.mediageek.org/