[Peace-discuss] Forgiveness Weekend

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 19 13:43:44 CST 2005

Carl, do you really think you'd be satisfied with secondhand reports?  Why
don't you go and listen for yourself?  Clifford Thornton provided a
realistic humanist counterpoint to Bevel's religious extremism, and I have
to say that it was great hearing a variety of viewpoints presented.  It was
also nice seeing Bevel patiently listening to what Thornton had to say.
Kudos to Aaron for setting this up.

As far as forgiveness goes, it's pretty clear that there were at least two
aspects presented:  (1) Asking the state and society to forgive felons'
mistakes and give them a chance at a job and housing, and (2) the felons
asking society's forgiveness and changing their lives around.  There was a
strong religious undercurrent in some of the speakers' presentation, but
remember that the event was held in a church, and many of the people who
spoke are ministers.

AWARE could do a better job of reaching out to the black community, and
could do it without endorsing religious content, and by the same token,
without belittling particular leaders.  It could be done by working on areas
of agreed common interests.  You can't simply discard a group of people out
of hand because you disagree with some of their viewpoints--otherwise, you'd
discard everyone and never get anything done.  Personal objections to
peoples' religious beliefs can be discussed privately on a one-on-one
basis--I think it's the only way that you can effectively change someone's
beliefs or at least make them see your point of view.

--Phil