[Peace-discuss] Forgiveness Weekend

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 19 23:15:30 CST 2005

Hi Carl,

I don't object to the majority of the points you make below, but my
intentions were not to be condescending or to lie about intentions to sell a
product to the black community.  I wasn't suggesting that people lie in
order to get along.  I merely suggested that it should be possible to work
on common issues, and to be honest about differences on other issues, but
work on them on the side.  It's a matter of approach.  If you want to
present a list of issues and then say you can't work with the other group
unless they agree to all issues, not much will be accomplished.  That said,
having heard Bevel speak, I'm glad that AWARE didn't endorse Forgiveness
Weekend because Bevel opposes many things that AWARE stands for, and
supports many things that AWARE opposes--homophobia, sexism, and theocracy,
for example.  Someone made the comment to me that Bevel's participation in
Forgiveness Weekend is a perfect way to destroy coalitions, and I
reluctantly agreed.

Finally, you said, "But misrepresenting what we think -- and failing to find
out what those we're talking to think -- can rarely if ever be an effective
strategy for 'reaching out,' it seems to me; and it doesn't seem to me an
honest one. For AWARE, the most effective outreach would seem to be to say
-- through a cacophony of propaganda -- that this war is wrong and that
something should be done about it.  That's what I think brought most of the
people in AWARE to it in the first place."

Clearly, my intention in going to Forgiveness Weekend was to "find out what
those we're talking to think."  Secondly, we're not AWE (Anti-War Effort),
we're AWARE (Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort).  I think that racial issues in
the Champaign/Urbana community need to be discussed.  We can talk about our
conceptions of what we think those issues are, but I'd still like to hear
Aaron (and others) out.

--Phil

PS -- Thanks for admitting your difficulty in listening for information--I
had mistaken it for laziness.  You seem to have gotten the basic idea of
what Forgiveness Weekend was about, and picked up on the idea of
"forgiveness" as being a metaphor for changes in the law.  I won't rehash
the things that you said in previous posts that could be construed as
"attacking the Weekend."  It's not worth it, and I think we're on the same
wavelength now.