[Peace-discuss] Re:[Peace] County B Mtg HELP!

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Sun Feb 20 23:41:02 CST 2005

Sandra,

Also..... Letters to the editors of area papers?  Picket Board meetings?  Postcard avalanche to Board members' homes?  I don't quite get what this is all about, but it sounds foul.

Jenifer C.
The County Board meeting this Thursday will again discuss the inmate jail  phone contract. I had thought that perhaps we just needed bodies there to  show support for ending this atrocious practice... but after discussing  strategy with some Board members... I think we need speakers also.

The Finance Committee of the Board is going to be saying that they want to  renegotiate the contract with Evercom without sending it out for bid. They  want Evercom to make the cost of the phone calls less -- but essentially  they do not want to give up their little piece of the pie ($14000 per month)  in order for that to happen.

I am calling all CB members prior to the meeting this week. I am hoping they  will agree to this compromise:
They do renegotiate the contract with Evercom and try to get the price of  calls to be reduced. The new contract will expire November 30, 2005 (with  the County Boards fiscal year end). The next budget not include the $14,000  per month -- or any revenue commission from the phone contract -- and the  phone contract go out for bid in time for a new contract to be implemented  in November.

This compromise gives them the ability to not have to alter this years  budget which has already been passed. If we have enough show of support at  Thursday's meeting... and calling all board members before Thursday we might  get it.

Even if they do not agree to it... they may agree to l do exactly as  outlined above... except they won't commit to not accepting the $14,000...  it will still be a victory in that they will not be locked into another 2  year contract that can be eternally renewed. In actuality it probably takes  4 or 5 months to send a contract out for bid... so we just will need to stay  on them through the time the contract goes out for bid (August?)

And we will not let them forget that they are being watched. I will continue  to grow the movement to abolish it unethical practice of accepting the  kickback. They will be witness to a grassroots campaign the likes of which  they will not forget.

Please join us on Thursday night at Brookens Administration Building. Please  let me know if you will be there. If you are willing to speak, please call  or email  me. I'll help you write a script if you want. Do you know anyone  who has had family in jail who might speak? If so -- they most likely have  been touched by this. Please encourage them to join us.

Sandra

Peace at lists.chambana.net