[Peace-discuss] Forgiveness Weekend

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 21 11:19:08 CST 2005

Let me say that I very much appreciate Phil's messages. I especially
note the importance of the following statement:

"That said,  having heard Bevel speak, I'm glad that AWARE didn't
endorse Forgiveness Weekend because Bevel opposes many things that
AWARE stands for, and supports many things that AWARE
opposes--homophobia, sexism, and theocracy, for example.  Someone made
the comment to me that Bevel's participation in Forgiveness Weekend is
a perfect way to destroy coalitions, and I reluctantly agreed."

I am also in favor of Phil's dialogue idea, sometime before an AWARE
meeting, where we could honestly discuss our points of disagreement.
It seems to me that we can only go forward by putting all these things
on the table.  I think this might be a difficult discussion, but I also
think we could use Durl's guidelines to good effect.

P.S.  I have been unconsciously mulling over the title of the weekend,
and I think it may have a lot to say about our differences. Instead of
"Forgiveness" I would rather refer to Justice.  People who have served
time in the criminal justice system have (rightly or wrongly) fulfilled
the law's requirements.  They deserve justice.  I have a 1951 Webster's
unabridged dictionary in front of me.  One of the meanings under
"forgive," is "The pardon or remission of a offense or crime; as the
forgiveness of sin or of injuries."  I note the word "sin," a religious
concept.  Later on, it says "The magistrate grants a pardon, and not
forgiveness." Although religion motivates some folks in AWARE, the work
we do is political rather than religious.

Al Kagan
African Studies Bibliogrpaher and Professor of Library Administration
University of Illinois Library
1408 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801

tel. 217-333-6519