[Peace-discuss] Minutes and me

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 22 10:54:37 CST 2005

The minutes read that I was supposed to have said that
"freedom of speech is about the government restricting
the people, not the people restricting the government."
If I really said that, I've managed to confuse everyone
including myself. What I meant to say is:

The government is prohibited by the First Amendment from
restricting the freedom of speech of citizens, but citizens
are not prohibited by the First Amendment from restricting
the freedom of speech of the government. The Bill of rights
restricts the power of the government, not the power of
the people. So we could rightly demand that the government
stop publishing nonsense (as it often does) but the
government could not make a like demand of us (although of
course we never publish nonsense, right?)

Bob