[Peace-discuss] The US anti-war movement is looking for ways to revive itself

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 09:35:34 CST 2005

The really interesting thing about this article, I
think, is that although the general framework of the
article is the specious suggestion that the anti-war
movement is unpopular and "limited" by massive public
support for the war, the only evidence presented
flatly contradicts this claim.

"According to a February 8-9 poll by FoxNews," it
says, "46 percent believe getting involved in the war
was a good idea, compared to 49 percent who did not."

So MORE people think the war was a bad idea, for
whatever reasons, than not.  Yet the article goes on
to claim that "that trend" (which trend? that most
people think the war was a mistake?) was made more
"acute" by the (alleged and highly disputable)
"success of the January 30 election".

It claims repeatedly that most people still think US
troops should remain in Iraq, but never cites any
polls for this, much less a margin of error.  It's
interesting because this is a major argument of the
article, upon which the supposed "limits" of the
anti-war movement supposedly hinge.  In fact, without
this piece, the main theme of the article -- that the
anti-war movement has been forced to regroup following
significant failure to persuade people -- collapses
entirely.

In this light, its other claims seem even more
ridiculous, e.g. "The anti-war movement reserves its
arguments to the unpredictable human and financial
cost of the Iraqi war, recruiting problems, and also
counts on some weighty spokesmen and women."

Even if we didn't already know this to be crass
make-believe, they can't even find anybody to SAY it?
They just have to state it in the text of the article,
without attribution or evidence or referent of any
kind?  As part of a rather faith-based argument to
begin with, it seems to stick out even more.

Are the warmongers really this desperate?  I'm a
little surprised at AFP.

Ricky