[Peace-discuss] Anti-war vs. identity politics? (fwd)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 3 22:08:41 CST 2005

Fascinating -- and True Lies *is* a family movie: it contains a view of
the world, what to be afraid of, and what will save us, that we're
supposed to internalize early -- big American military against swarthy
Middle Easterners.

(A current New Yorker cartoon shows a highway with a billboard saying,
"Entering California.  You May Begin Your Schwarzenegger Imitation Now.")

You recognize quite clearly, of course, David, how acutely uncomfortable
you make me by the comparison with anything Todd Gitlin says.  I'll
quickly quote the Principle of Incompleteness, which we mention from time
to time on News from Neptune: Nobody Can be Wrong all the Time...

--CGE