[Peace-discuss] 2005 UFPJ National Assembly

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 4 15:57:50 CST 2005

AWARE is a member of United for Peace and Justice, the singular nationwide
umbrella organization for peace and justice groups. UFPJ is a coalition of
over 1000 national and grassroots groups and now over 100 international
groups as well. They are conducting a second National Assembly in St. Louis
in the weekend of February 19-21. I attended the first National Assembly in
Chicago in the summer of 2003.

I think it's important to build nationwide and international coordination
between peace and justice groups in as much as possible and practical. A
strong, unified coordination infrastructure can yield a stronger national
and worldwide impact when it really counts. UFPJ, if you recall, organized
the massive February 15th, 2003 New York demonstrations against the war on a
day that saw over 10 million worldwide participate in the largest global
demonstration in history. I have often wondered whether the war could have
been avoided if there was significantly better unified coordination against
the war. If that level of coordination is to come about, the infrastructure
for it needs to be constructed in advance and on an ongoing basis (rather
than in response to events as they occur).

So I urge AWARE to participate by sending two delegates to the National
Assembly on the weekend of February 19-21. The cost will likely be quite
small. This way, we can participate democratically in how UFPJ functions and
what it's goals are. It's also a fascinating experience where you meet lots
of interesting, passionate activists from around the country =8-)

Would anyone be interested in going? I went last time (along with Robert
Dunn). I think different people should go this time.

I'm requesting this be put on the agenda for the next meeting, where I'll
provide updated info on the event's details and answer questions folks have
about UFPJ and the last National Assembly.