[Peace-discuss] Re: What's inconsequential and who's AWARE?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 5 09:03:47 CST 2005

I have some trouble understanding what you're saying, Carol, but the tone
is clear. I don't, for example, see the relevance of the comment that you
ascribe to Woodson: no serious person now believes in genetic inferiority
or the "need to discriminate," even if racists have said such things in
the past.  (I admit that you might find such things said today more
commonly in the Middle East.)

"Something so inconsequential" (namely, Magruder's cartoon and the
billboards about hip-hop) -- and they were -- should never have required
attention or emotion at last Sunday's AWARE meeting.  That's what I said
at the time and since.  It was a diversion for a group devoted to an
"anti-war, anti-racist effort," where the first task is trying to
understand what's going on. Some people at the meeting didn't understand
what was going on in the cartoon or on the billboards.

I'm sure you're right that the malice in my heart will always be obvious,
for as a Catholic Christian I believe that, as Paul says, "we all have
sinned and fall short of the glory of God/Allah." I pray in the words of
Surah 48.2 "that Allah/God may forgive me my faults of the past and those
to follow; fulfill his favor to me; and guide me on the straight way." But
finding out what that straight way is, is a matter of struggle -- personal
and social. It's not obvious, and many mistakes are possible.  I thought
AWARE was about to make one last Sunday, by turning aside from anti-war
work (as we did in the meeting) to purse an identity-politics goal of
shutting someone up.

It's charitable of you to try to excuse me on the basis of the bad effects
of my education, but I admit that -- perhaps as a result -- I don't know
what it means to say "forgiveness was a mercy that God/Allah gave to man
for his (God's?) own sake, not for the sake of those whom he is angry
with."  Surely the forgiveness and mercy of God in no way benefits God
(what can that mean?) but is a supreme benefit for humanity. Allah/God is
not a debtor and owes us nothing; and yet we receive mercy.

Of course there is "racism in the schools, media, and entertainment." But
I would distinguish between prejudice (against, say, African-, Irish-, or
Polish-Americans) and racism in the strict sense, namely discrimination
enshrined in law or effective custom (such as that against Arabs in
Israel).  Of course "just because it was intended to be funny, that didn't
make the black face degradation of African Americans right" -- I assume
you have in mind something like the prejudice manifest in minstrel shows.
Surely you don't think that "black face degradation of African-Americans"
accurately describes Magruder's cartoon.

And I don't know what you mean by the "subjugation of minorities, Muslims,
and women to materialistic fanatics, terrorists, and sex objects."
Obviously subjugation is something to oppose, but I think you have to
specify what you mean.  That phrase surely doesn't describe the
News-Gazette's running a satirical comic strip. It is indeed difficult for
me to follow your position, and that may in fact be because I'm saturated
with racist and sexist views -- but the only way we could know that is for
the views and their alternatives to be stated and debated.  Only then can
we nurture the spirit of righteousness in our hearts. Discussion and
debate, not silence and submission, is the only way we can arrive at
understanding here below, as I'm sure you agree.

Regards, Carl