[Peace-discuss] More on Identity Politics

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 6 16:56:57 CST 2005

Nobody here is arguing against the need for solidarity on the left,
although folks can argue about the best ways and means to develop
solidarity.  It is very easy, too easy, for white people to argue
against organizing around a common oppression.  White people who do
this in a strident way can be accused of racism.

It should not be so hard to understand that there are many ways to
fight around many issues. We should welcome that various groups pursue
their own issues in the ways that they feel are best for their causes.
Our task is to find the best ways to work with as many groups as
possible for the best solidarity for the issues that we want to pursue.

I think we are in the middle of redefining AWARE's identity.  That is
not a bad thing, but it is causing some stresses and strains. Although
I was not at AWARE's first meeting, I was there early on. It seems to
me that the original idea was to integrate work against war and racism.
Our practice has been to concentrate on war, with racism as an
afterthought. We are now struggling to more fully address racism, and
we don't yet know how to do that.

  I suggest that we try to imagine how to more fully integrate war and
racism work instead of playing off one against the other.