[Peace-discuss] Tamer Protests Expected for Second Inauguration

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 13 11:23:33 CST 2005

[How the government has managed to suppress protest at the coronation, in
spite of majority dismay at their policies.  --CGE]

	latimes.com
	http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/
	la-na-inaugural13jan13,1,1257023.story?coll=la-headlines-nation
	THE NATION
	Tamer Protests Expected for Second Inauguration
	Some plan to turn their backs on Bush, but key
	liberal and antiwar groups are abstaining.
	By Johanna Neuman
	Times Staff Writer
	January 13, 2005

WASHINGTON — Four years ago, thousands of protesters massed along the
inaugural parade route to show their anger over the contested election in
which President Bush gained his first term. Bearing signs such as "Hail to
the Thief" and "Supreme Injustice," they crowded the subways, got into
sidewalk debates with inaugural guests and gave a historic day a
heightened sense of democracy in action.

This year, as George W. Bush is sworn in for a second term, the atmosphere
promises to be calmer.

Once again, demonstrations are planned. An organization called Turn Your
Backs on Bush says it will send hundreds of supporters to Washington to
literally turn away from the president in silent protest as his motorcade
passes.

Anti-Bush activists at an Internet website called bushblackout.com are
suggesting that supporters black out their websites or silence their blogs
for the day. And a group called Not One Damn Dime Day is urging a boycott
of commerce on Jan. 20.

Mainstream liberal and antiwar groups, however, are sitting out the
ceremonies this time. The security planned for the first inauguration
since the Sept. 11 attacks would make protesting difficult. And the groups
are concerned about alienating moderates whose support they hope to
attract on issues including Social Security, tax reform and war
appropriations.

"We felt our focus has been and should continue to be this war," said Tom
Andrews, national director of Win Without War, an antiwar coalition of
MoveOn.org and about 40 other groups opposed to the administration's
policies in Iraq.

Asked how he planned to spend the day, Andrews paused and said, "I'm going
to try to sleep in."

Washington-area law enforcement will not have that luxury. About 6,000
federal, state and local law enforcement officials will be on hand,
including Coast Guard patrols in the Potomac River.

"Security for this occasion will be unprecedented," outgoing Homeland
Security Secretary Tom Ridge told reporters this week. "Our goal is that
any attempt on the part of anyone or any group to disrupt the inaugural
will be repelled by multiple layers of security."

Tightened security is one reason that Jet Heiko, a 31-year-old activist
from Philadelphia, came up with the idea of a silent protest. During the
Bush campaign, protesters were often given permits to demonstrate only in
spaces far from event sites. So Heiko figured the only way to crash the
party was to dress the part.

"We're telling folks to dress neutral, to not have any outward signs of
protest," he said.

Angry that inaugural planners have commandeered so much space on
Pennsylvania Avenue for bleachers — with scalpers selling tickets for
more than $300 — protesters plan to sandwich themselves on the sidewalk
wherever they can, and turn their backs on Bush at the appropriate moment.

"We think it's shameful that, even though they call it a public event,
this is increasingly private," Heiko said. "The only ones who will see the
president are the ones who pay to see him."

Some observers think a more muted protest is appropriate.

"If you think of protests in a coldly pragmatic way, rather than in an
emotional way, this is not the best place to focus," said Norman J.
Ornstein, an analyst at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative
public policy center.

"It's raining on the parade of people who won legitimately. If you do
jarring protests to the point where a lot of Americans react viscerally,
you're hurting yourself."

For reasons of security or political sensitivity, most protesters are
keeping their distance.

Code Pink, a group of street-theater activists formed in 2002 to mock the
Bush administration's terrorism alert codes, is protesting the Wednesday
evening Black Tie and Boots Ball organized by the Texas State Society
because, spokeswoman Nancy Mancias said, "they are wealthy, well-to-do
Texans with a long history of supporting Bush." The group plans to march
to the White House on Thursday, Mancias said, or "at least in that general
direction."

Critical Mass, an umbrella group of left-wing organizations that lists its
events on counter-inaugural.org, is calling for a bike ride from Union
Station starting at 7:30 a.m., four and a half hours before the
inauguration. Other groups are scheduling events outside Washington: In
New Mexico, protesters are planning "A Funeral for Democracy" with
mourners forming a procession in Santa Fe.

The newest twists on inaugural protests rely less on shoe leather than on
brain power. The Internet blackout and the consumer boycott — which owes
something to a protest organized by blue-state Democrats against
corporations that actively supported Republicans — are new additions to
this year's mix.

"It's elegant and simple and not scary to do," said Kimberly Hughes, a
psychotherapist and musician in Brooklyn, N.Y., who is helping promote the
consumer boycott through her church. "We the people are fueling these
policies with our money. If there's an appreciable dip in commerce, it may
get someone thinking."

And then there's the book.

A postelection instant book called "What We Do Now," offering commentary
by former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, former Al Gore campaign manager Donna
Brazile and other notable Democrats proved so popular that the publisher
was planning a series of counterinaugural events on the day after the
inaugural — one in Washington on Wednesday night, one in San Francisco
on Thursday and one in Cooper Union's Great Hall in New York, where
Abraham Lincoln once spoke.

"They will be well-attended by those who don't want to confront the
military," said Dennis Loy Johnson, who with his wife, Valerie Merians,
runs Melville Press, which increased its run of "What We Do Now" from
3,000 to 30,000.

"It's about just doing something," he said. "And these are not
[Democratic] party books; they're just from people frightened by the rise
of the American right."

*

Times staff writer Faye Fiore contributed to this report.
Copyright 2005 Los Angeles Times