[Peace-discuss] CPRB item for the agenda

Walling, Jennifer jwalling at law.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 14 11:04:48 CST 2005

Hey AWARE,

Hope you all are doing well.

I know you all have gotten a lot of money requests lately, but I'd like to
bug you all for another one.  I know that you need a week's notice on
things, but I was wondering if I could present my request this week and you
all could vote on it next week as I am going to be out of town next weekend.

Here's the deal...

The Coalition for Citizen Police Review is looking to have a forum on
"Community/Law Enforcement Relations" on Tuesday, Feb. 8.  It's probably
going to start either at 7 or 8, but I'll know this afternoon.  We are going
to have four speakers - Mark Krug, the Director of Court Diversion Services;
I've invited Laurel Prussing to speak on the need for Police Review in
Urbana; Someone from CUCFPJ to talk about the jail issues; and a reverend
from one of the black churches (probably Rev. Bogan) to speak about
community justice.  I'm really excited about the lineup.  Afterward we will
be asking people to share their stories.  And we will be giving a 5 question
survey to all of the Urbana city council candidates and have the results
available at the forum.

The forum will be in the city council chambers and it will be taped and
played later on UPTV.  You all should come :)

I am going to request ~$125.  I would like to ask AWARE to pay for the color
11 x 17 posters that we are going to have put on the buses advertising the
event ($50 to MTD and then about $1 for each poster).  If AWARE will pay for
them, I will put "PAID FOR BY ANTI-WAR ANTI-RACISM EFFORT" and your website
on the bottom of the fliers really big.  So this will be seen by all sorts
of folks on the buses.  And the only other organization name will be the
Coalition for Citizen Police Review, so hopefully it'll help you guys out
with advertising.  I know that you all have been bombarded by fundraising
requests, but I know there was a request that we ask for money after I gave
the last update.  Also, this is likely something that we will be unable to
afford if we can't get the funding from AWARE.

Thanks so much!

-Jen Walling
CPRB Volunteer