[Peace-discuss] What we're doing in Iraq

Paul M. King pmking at uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 15 12:26:10 CST 2005

This looks like a hopeful sign for enlisted personnel who
would seek conscientious objector (CO) status; the military
decided to slap this guy with a CO label rather quickly.

Also, the fact that this guy is a staff sergeant is a good
sign. It's one thing for a lower ranking private to speak out
against the military and express dissidence (as difficult as
it is), but another thing entirely for someone of his rank. A
staff sergeant is more or less a middle manager in the
military. They are often in direct charge of troops and act as
liason between higher ranking officers and lower ranking
soldiers. Consequently, they hold a lot of sway, sometimes
commandeering more respect than the captain or commander
themselves (as was the case in my platoon and company). This
is going to make a lot of soldiers think.

The question is, are our soldiers getting this information? Do
they know about this story?

..:: Paul