[Peace-discuss] Good news?

ouroboros rex c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 26 17:44:37 CST 2005

Alfred Kagan wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Actually, I think you are missing something here. Our male-dominated
> society will almost always put men in decision-making positions as
> part of the ongoing structure of our institutions and society.  The
> point, as with affirmative action, is to make sure that
> underrepresented groups, women in this case, are also put in
> decision-making positions.  Therefore the statement is not sexist,
> rather it seeks redress of the structure of our society.

   WEFT currently has no such problem - we just came off a long period
when all three governance committees were chaired by women.  IIRC, we'd
still be there, but Kim moved to the BOD after several years as PC chair.

  At any rate, we always elect democratically, which can never 'ensure'
anything of the sort.  It does however seem to get the job done very
well.  -cmb