[Peace-discuss] Christopher Hitchens

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 18:31:18 CST 2005

Hitchens, in fact, was not the only popular commentator on the Left who
supported the American-led invasion of Iraq.
Not much discussed in the United States was the support for the war given by
Bernard Kouchner...... -co-founder of Medecins sans frontieres, and active
member in the Paris 1968 student radical movement. His views are
exceptionally interesting to dissect, because they are those of someone who
has been entering war zones to provide aid to victims of war for over 30
years, often against the wishes of the governing elite and rebel forces
involved (sonething the red cross would never do...)
He shares with Hitchens, I think, an overarching belief in liberal
institutions.Their thinking goes that one can be both a Leftist and believe
in the religion of liberal positivism.

At the same time, Kouchner has also always been a member of the pompous
Leftist class: a sort of 16th Arrondissement Communist, or la gauche caviar,
to use popular phraseology.

Interview of Kouchner:
http://www.iht.com/articles/87645.html