[Peace-discuss] Paul Harvey's Tribute to Slavery, Nukes, Genocide

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 12:54:03 CDT 2005

Subject: Paul Harvey's Tribute to Slavery, Nukes,
Genocide

Paul Harvey's Tribute to Slavery, Nukes, Genocide
Hateful rant shows Disney's double standard on speech

FAIR-L

Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting

Media analysis, critiques and activism

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2569

ACTION ALERT:

Paul Harvey's Tribute to Slavery, Nukes, Genocide

Hateful rant shows Disney's double standard on speech

July 1, 2005

Disney/ABC radio personality Paul Harvey, one of the
most widely
listened to
commentators in the United States, presented his
listeners on June 23
with an
endorsement of genocide and racism that would have
been right at home
on a
white supremacist shortwave broadcast.

Harvey's commentary began by lamenting the decline of
American wartime
aggression.  "We're standing there dying, daring to do
nothing decisive
because
we've declared ourselves to be better than our
terrorist enemies--more
moral, more
civilized," he said.

Drawing a contrast with what he cast as the
praiseworthy nuclear
bombings of
Hiroshima and Nagasaki in World War II, Harvey
lamented that "we sent
men with
rifles into Afghanistan and Iraq and kept our best
weapons in their
silos"--suggesting that America should have used its
nuclear arsenal in
its invasions
of both countries.

Harvey concluded:

"We didn't come this far because we're made of sugar
candy. Once upon a
time,
we elbowed our way onto and across this continent by
giving
smallpox-infected
blankets to Native Americans. That was biological
warfare. And we used
every
other weapon we could get our hands on to grab this
land from whomever.

"And we grew prosperous. And yes, we greased the skids
with the sweat
of
slaves. So it goes with most great nation-states,
which--feeling guilty
about
their savage pasts--eventually civilize themselves out
of business and
wind up
invaded and ultimately dominated by the lean, hungry
up-and-coming who
are not
made of sugar candy."

Harvey's evident approval of slavery, genocide and
nuclear and
biological
warfare would seem to put him at odds with Disney's
family-friendly
image.  The
media conglomerate syndicates Harvey to more than
1,000 radio stations,
where
he reaches an estimated 18 million listeners.  Disney
recently signed a
10-year, $100 million contract with the 86-year-old
Harvey.

In 2004, Disney forbid its Miramax subsidiary to
distribute Michael
Moore's
film Fahrenheit 9/11, even though Miramax was the
principal investor in
the
film.  A Disney executive told the New York Times
(5/5/04) that it was
declining
to distribute the film because, in the paper's words,
"Disney caters to
families of all political stripes and believes Mr.
Moore's film...could
alienate
many."

One wonders whether Disney executives are worried
about alienating
families
who oppose slavery, nuclear war and Native American
genocide.

ACTION:

Ask Disney why it finds Paul Harvey's nostalgia for
slavery and
genocide and
his calls for nuclear war acceptable, but deemed
Michael Moore's film
unacceptable.

CONTACT:

ABC Radio Networks

abcradio at abc.com

John.E.McConnell at abc.com

Phone: 212-456-5387

Paul Harvey

Irma.N.Aviles at abc.com

Phone: (312) 889-4085

Disney Corporation

Phone: 818-560-1000

As always, please remember that your comments have
more impact if you
maintain a polite tone.

Read a transcript of Harvey's comments (courtesy of
the Chicago
Tribune's
Eric Zorn):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ericzorn/weblog/archives/2005/06