[Peace-discuss] Quote, slightly misquoted, by Howard Zinn

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Mon Jul 4 17:12:10 CDT 2005

One word has been changed in the quote below. Can you guess which one
it is? The quote is from article by Norman Soloman/ZNET:

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=8221

"Scholars, who pride themselves on speaking their minds, often engage
in a form of self-censorship which is called 'realism.' To be
'realistic' in dealing with a problem is to work only among the
alternatives which the most powerful in society put forth. It is as
if we are all confined to a, b, c, or d in a multiple-choice test,
when we know there is another possible answer. American society,
although it has more freedom of expression than most societies in the
world, thus sets limits beyond which respectable people are not
supposed to think or speak. So far, too much of the debate on Iraq
has observed these limits."

--mkb