[Peace-discuss] Is it any wonder they don't want OUR help?

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 10:22:58 CDT 2005

[1] Attack people you don't know - get reward.
[2] Help people you don't know - get punishment.
(Provided [1] is at the the behest of the state and
[2] is not.)
Interesting moral lesson.
-RB

Texas Man Arrested After Heroic Rescue
AP- July 5, 2005

SAN MARCOS, Texas - A man who rescued a swimmer caught
in swirling river currents found himself in trouble
soon afterward when he was arrested by authorities who
claimed he was interfering.

Dave Newman, 48, disobeyed repeated orders by
emergency personnel to leave the water, police said.
He was charged with interfering with public duties.

"I was amazed," Newman said Monday after his release
on $2,000 bail. "I had a very uncomfortable night
after saving that guy's life. He thanked me for it in
front of the police, and then they took me to jail."

Abed Duamni, 35, of Houston, said he had just finished
eating at a restaurant Sunday when he decided to go
for a swim in a nearby river. Duamni said he didn't
see any signs warning swimmers of dangerous currents.

Newman said he pulled Duamni out of the water,
swimming under a waterfall and over to the shore
opposite from the restaurant. He could hear law
enforcement personnel telling him to come back to the
other side.

According to police, Newman smirked and seemed annoyed
by officers' requests. He stood in the water for about
15 seconds before swimming downstream.

"When he came across the river, the officer stuck out
his hand like he's going to help him out of the water,
and he put cuffs on him," said John Parnell, pastor of
St. Augustine Old Roman Catholic Church in Fort Worth.