[Peace-discuss] Letter to the Editor

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Fri Jul 8 22:21:28 CDT 2005

Great letter, Paul, and of course she won't get it -- too many big words, too many big ideas..... Maybe she'd get it if you said, I'm a vet, I get to wear a uniform  Bush was AWOL, a deserter -- he's the one who dishonors our servicemen and women by wearing a military uniform and prancing around on the deck of a ship he'd never have the guts to actually serve on.....

Re fear:  Isn't it rational to be VERY afraid of our government and its agenda?  They're the scariest men on the planet. There's lots more to fear than fear itself, it seem to me.

Jenifer C
[fellow citizens - below is the letter i've written to the
news gazette in response to another letter that was posted a  few days ago. the letter that i'm responding to is first and  my response is last. the word count is too high, so i expect  it to be trimmed; always a painful experience when writing  on such essential and important matters. any feedback is  welcome. i will send it in tomorrow.  .:: paul king]

------------------------------------------------------- It is hard for me to put into words how upset I was after  seeing the Fourth of July parade in Champaign.

This was my first year attending the parade, and I have to  admit when the anti-war display passed by I was taken back.  I thought, why would there be an anti-war display in the  Fourth of July parade? I was happy to just let them pass. I  changed my mind when I saw a man in an Army Class A uniform  pass by. By wearing this uniform and waving an anti-war  sign, I believe this man was disrespecting the uniform.

I can understand having an opinion and being for or against  any cause. But what was this man trying to do other than  look like a fool and invoke anger throughout the crowd? In  my eyes he was mocking every soldier who has ever worn that  uniform. He is lucky that there are men and women who  respect that uniform and wear it proudly. If it weren't for  them he would not be able to make a fool of himself in any  more parades.

I am not trying to silence that voice, but I think there are  more appropriate places and ways to get points across.  Marching in a Fourth of July parade, waving anti-war signs,  and disrespecting the Army dress uniform is in bad taste.  Maybe next year the coordinator of the parade should invoke  his freedom of speech to say no to the anti-war protestors.

It is impossible for me to express the anger I feel when I  reflect on the meaning of the Fourth of July today. How can  we celebrate a holiday that commemorates the repudiation of  British colonialism and empire and simultaneously support an  American imperial agenda that is every bit as murderous,  destructive, corrupt and oppressive as the British were?

I wore my Class A uniform and marched in the parade with  AWARE (the Anti-War, Anti-Racism Effort) in order to
demonstrate that we do not owe our allegiance to an
institution, an administration or even a geopolitical
entity. The genius of America is that we are founded on  principles, not force. Our allegiance is to democracy and  individual freedom.

I have not disrespected my uniform because I have not
betrayed the principles for which it stands. My allegiance  is to those everywhere who struggle against oppression. It  is our leaders who disrespect our institutions and betray  our sons and daughters who yearn to do good in the world but  w