[Peace-discuss] Re: "Liberal" media

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 19 18:51:39 CDT 2005

"Dishonest and disgusting" because America is unique (or
uniquely good) and therefore no right-thinking person can draw
parallels to any other military occupier?

For "evidence of these civil struggles in France," read the
history of the Vichy government (notably similar to what we've
set up in Iraq); of the (largely Communist-led) French
Resistance; and of the numerous French collaborators and
the reprisals taken against them.

The genesis of the WWII French struggles was often old
political rivalries, unjustifiable attacks on civilians, and
routine calls for civil war. And "religious rivalries, church
bombings, and routine calls for civil war from the pulpit"
were explicit in Spain only a few years earlier, as part of
the last phase of the 20th century's Thirty Years' War (1914-45).

Civil war (largely class war, coded as religious and
political) was in fact far more typical of early 20th century
Europe than it is of the Arab world. As Juan Cole and others
have pointed out, Iraq has no tradition of civil war among its
communities.  Many believe that the major encouragement for
civil war in Iraq has come from the the US, practicing a
divide-and-rule strategy.  The US has openly supported
independent gangs, militias and death squads.  (The Pentagon
has even advertised it as a "Salvadoran strategy.")

Since the US invasion in March of 2003 there have been 400
suicide bombings in Iraq; before March of 2003, there were
none.  Far more Iraqi civilians have been killed by the US
than have been killed by the insurgents.  Polls show that
overwhelming percentages of both Sunni and Shi'ite communities
want the US out. The solution seems obvious.

What stands in the way is the US determination to maintain
permanent bases in the world's greatest energy-producing
region as a strangle-hold on the world economy.  The liberal
language of "cleaning-up" and "defusing" is a helpful
cover-story, all the more helpful when it's honestly believed.

--CGE