[Peace-discuss] American Idiot

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 13 09:53:59 CDT 2005

There was a color picture on page A5 of Saturday's Washington
Post that I can't find online; a friend in DC (who spent
several years in jail for refusing the draft 35 years ago)
describes it as follows:

"The picture shows a kid at a table at some...I don't know
what, job fair, or something...talking to two army recruiters
wearing camo fatigues.  The recruiters are facing the camera,
the kid's back is to the camera.  The kid is wearing the
obligatory baseball-cap-on-backwards, with a Texas Longhorns
logo on it.  But best of all is his T-shirt, which says (in
enormous red letters on the black shirt) 'AMERICAN IDIOT 2005.'

"I thought it HAD to be faked, i.e., posed, but my daughter
tells me that's a rock-band T-shirt..."

--CGE