[Peace-discuss] A hopeful sign: AWARE minutes keep coming

carol inskeep carolinskeep at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 09:57:10 CDT 2005

Amazingly, AWARE keeps on going and going, just when you think we might give up.  Twenty or so folks showed up on Sunday, including a few new folks, and we discussed the news and a surprising range of current activities we're working on...  Here's a brief summary - corrections and additions are welcome.

Durl stepped forward to facilitate
News of the Week by Carl Estabrook (posted separately)

New Ideas
- Sunie will look into putting together a simple flyer to promote the programming we've submitted to UPTV; this schedule could be distributed at the Farmer's Market table
- Folks can email Randall any updated or new flyers and he will post them to the website so that our current literature is available for easy copying and use
- Randall is taking some steps to activate the campaign to get Democracy Now! on WILL; contact him if you'd like to be involved
- Dave recommends keeping up with events at the G8 Meeting by checking out G8 radio and Scotland Indymedia online

Working Group Reports:
- Taste of Champaign:  Discussion of the fact that we had no tabling opportunities this year; in the future we'll send applications via registered mail.

- 4th of July:  Plans for the float continue; Please encourage others to join us at the corner of Oregon and Busey (#44) between 12:30 and 1:00.  Matt has completed the update of our general flyer "Hey, Wait a Minute" and he'll post for review

- Counter-Recruitment - We briefly discussed the Parkland scholarship proposal; Carol will post a rough draft to Peace-Discuss

- CPRB:  Ricky reported on efforts to establish an independent police review board, including a recent meeting with the mayor.  It's a great time to get involved in this issue; meetings take place the 1rst and 3rd Tuesdays of every month at the Illinois Disciples Foundation at 8pm.

- AWARE Presents - The working group planning programs at the Urbana Free Library will meet on July 7th at 7pm at the home of Durl and Jan Kruse

- Public Square on WILL - The working group that encourages community members to submit commentaries to WILL met and brainstormed 9 potential ideas, and agreed to approach people to do them; If you have an idea or a desire to do a commentary, you are encouraged to do so; if you want help/ideas, feel free to ask the working group members (Sunie, Mort, Al, Carol, or also Ricky).

Last Week's Events
- Funding for public broadcasting was reinstated; brief discussion of all the problematic implications

Upcoming Events
- The group planning events to commemorate the bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima will meet at the Friends Meetinghouse on Sunday, July 3rd at 3pm
- Danielle recommends keeping an eye on pending legislation which affects young people and drug policy; she'll post separately
- The Main Event will take place this Saturday, July 2nd from 2-4pm at the corner of Main and Neil in downtown Champaign
- The CPRB meets July 5th at 8pm at the Illinois Disciples Foundation