[Peace-discuss] announcements that have turned up in my email...

carol inskeep carolinskeep at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 16:30:05 CST 2005

Announcements from varied sources - including CIMIC, Amnesty International, Channing Murray Foundation and the University...

Seminar at CIMIC- Dividing Wall by Charlene and Michael Smith, Mennonite Church and Members Peacemakers Delegation
March 4, 2005 at 8:15PM at CIMIC, 106 S. Lincoln, Urbana, IL 61801 Ph: 217-344-1555 http://cimic.org/ email: cimic at prairienet.org

Channing Murray events:

Expresso Yourself Coffeehouse
Saturday, March 5 after the Stone Soup Supper - Join the UU Young Adults for an open stage for open minds. This week's theme is the Iraq War- 2 years!? No cover charge. Inexpensive Fair Trade coffee, tea, and vegan snacks available for purchase.
Monthly Peace Vigil - The War in Iraq
Monday, March 7 @ 8pm
Join us in the Chapel as we gather to experience solidarity in expressing
hope for a just and peaceful world, with a focus on the Iraq war. Feel
free to bring a reading, prayer, or thought to share. Vigil candles are provided.

Amnesty International events:
- The Fog of War
The latest film by Errol Morris
Winner of the 2004 Academy Award for Best Documentary
Monday March 7 at 7:00pm in the South Rec Room of Allen Hall

- On March 8th, Tuesday, at 7 pm, we will have a women’s
rights event at 329 Davenport Hall. Currently we are
planning to show a movie (tba) and we have two speakers:
Professors Faranak Miraftab (Urban Planning), Manisha Desai
(Sociology). Current co-sponsors include: Gender and Women’s
Studies, National Organization for Women at UIUC, Feminist
Majority, Men Against Sexual Violence and Department of
Anthropology. Speaker topics and flyer will be ready soon!

March 7, 3-5 pm, Room 59A English Building: The Program in Jewish Culture and Society invites you to an informal conversation with author Roya Hakakian and English Professor and author Zorah Sullivan. Please pass this email on to anyone that might be interested.
Roya Hakakian is the author of a memoir of growing up a Jewish teenager in post-revolutionary Iran, Journey from the Land of No (Crown), Elle Magazine's Best Nonfiction Book of 2004.
Zohreh Sullivan writes on post-Colonial literature and is the author of Narratives of Empire: the Fictions of Rudyard Kipling (1993) and Exiled Memories: Stories of Iranian Diaspora (2001), "A moving portrait of the Iranian émigré community grappling with life in the U.S"

On Tuesday, March 8, 2005, the YWCA of the University of Illinois and Student American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) will host Richard A. Clarke, author of "Against All Enemies: Inside America's War on Terror." Mr. Clarke will speak on the University of Illinois campus at 8:00 p.m. in 141 Loomis Lab (1110 W. Green Street, at the corner of Green and Goodwin in Urbana).