[Peace-discuss] Re:[Peace] clarification about "relgiousness" of Univeristy

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Tue Mar 1 16:17:20 CST 2005

Danielle,

Each Y is different however, and I can see why a peace group that already has a separate identity would not want to be a Y sponsored program.  Maybe I'm more tuned into the words behind the letters because I've known about all kind of Ys forever, and, although I admire our campus Y tremendously, none of the letters actually apply to me.  Most of the letters don't apply to them, much either.  I think the organization might consider a name/initial change to better represent what it really does.  It's kinda like Ethical Culture, hotel, or Fitness Center!

No big deal, just my two cents worth.
Jenifer C.
I apologize for so many posts lately, but I have been busy so have much to share with AWARE folks!

Due to some feedback from my last post about peace work at the Y, I would like to make an important point:

The University Y is NOT a religious organization.  It keeps the affiliation with the YMCA because it has been doing so for over 130 years.  The University Y's mission statement is to challenge and nurture the mind and spirit of individuals and communities to develop and practice ethical principles and responsible leadership for social justice and the integrity of our natural world.  The only "faith" work the Y does is interfaith work, and I have been heavily involved in the Y for over 2 years despite being as far from relgious as one can get!

Why is this important?  Because the Y has great potential to serve the community, as long as people are willing to put some time and effort in and work together.  The staff is small and the Board is just beginning to become more active, but with community input and support there are many possibilities...

If you need more information about the Y, you can read the website (www.universityymca.org).  I take full blaim for how rudimentary the site is, as I am still learning html :)

Danielle

Peace at lists.chambana.net