[Peace-discuss] Richard A. Clark

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 8 16:10:30 CST 2005

Clarke's curriculum vitae is a little difficult to sort out, but there's
some evidence, notably his book Against All Enemies, which some find
self-promoting, even by Washington standards.  See a partial review at
<http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article2549.shtml>.

Clarke's general political position is illustrated in one controverted
incident: Clinton's missile attack -- apparently a project of Clarke's --
on a pharmaceutical plant in Sudan in 1998.  Chomsky points out that even
this relatively "minor escapade of Western state terror [led to] 'several
tens of thousands' of deaths according to the German Ambassador and other
reputable sources, whose conclusions are consistent with the immediate
assessments of knowledgeable observers. [Werner Daum, "Universalism and
the West," _Harvard International Review_, Summer 2001. On other
assessments, and the warnings of Human Rights Watch, see Chomsky's _9-11_
(New York: Seven Stories, 2001), 45ff.]"  --CGE

Much more important the Clarke's talk tonight is Norman Finkelstein's, at
he law School at 6pm.  (You could probably still make Clarke's at 8, if
you wanted to.) --CGE