[Peace-discuss] More on "marine murderer of civilians"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 13 00:23:36 CST 2005

	War crime claims
	By: Bill Carey 03/10/05
	News 10 Now Web Staff

When the U.S. went to war in Iraq, Jimmy Massey was a staff sergeant with
a marine unit that had the job of setting up checkpoints to protect
American forces. In a short period of time, Massey claims, he and his men
had killed 30 Iraqi civilians. He says he and the others are guilty of war
crimes.

"I brought these series of events up through the chain of command. Each
time I was told they were terrorists, or they were insurgents. My question
to the marine corps at that point became, how was a 6 year old child with
a bullet hole in its head a terrorist or insurgent," says former U.S.
Marine, Jimmy Massey.

Massey says he quickly developed post traumatic stress disorder and was
shipped out of Iraq after less than 2 months at war. By the end of last
year he had undergone psychiatric review and was given a medical
discharge. Now, he travels the country speaking out against the war,
hoping to bring military action to an end.

"Knowledge. Knowledge is power. The knowledge of what our country is
actually doing as far as in Iraq," Massey said.

The Syracuse Peace Council escorted Massey to a series of events across
the area.

At Onondaga Community College, a small groups of protestors gathered
outside.

"We got a job to do and we're getting it done. And I'm just out here to
let people know that what this guy is talking about isn't the truth,"
said veteran Scott Colbert.

"This is 18, 19, 20 year old kids. They have to make a split decision. The
decision was to open fire. They opened fire. So, somebody got killed. Bad
thing. That's not genocide, I'm sorry," said retired U.S. Marine, William
Gleason.

"I guess they're the few who run around with the little yellow sticker on
their car that says support our troops. I have a new motto. My motto is
save our troops, save them from themselves," Massey said.

Jimmy Massey has been embraced by those in the anti-war movement. Opposed
by those who favor the war effort. Whether he has changed any minds in the
great middle is unclear.

The Pentagon told the Washington Post that it had thoroughly investigated
the charges made by Jimmy Massey. They say those charges are "unfounded."

Copyright ©2005 TWEAN News Channel of Syracuse