[Peace-discuss] Bolton and the UN.

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Mar 13 22:16:48 CST 2005

Exerpt from entertaining, somewhat informative in Foreign Policy in
Focus

http://www.fpif.org/commentary/2005/0503bolton.html

article by Ian Williams. An admission by Bolton which is not all wrong:

As Bolton told Insight magazine, "It is a big mistake for us to grant
any validity to international law even when it may seem in our
short-term interest to do so--because, over the long term, the goal of
those who think that international law really means anything are those
who want to constrict the United States. We ought to be concerned about
this so-called right of humanitarian intervention--a right of
intervention that is just a gleam in one beholder's eye but looks like
flat-out aggression to somebody else. What we did was bomb innocent
civilian Serbs into the ground in order that the Albanians can come
back and ethnically cleanse the Serbs' relatives out of what's left of
Kosovo." He wriggled a lot over that when it was brought up in his last
confirmation hearings, but he certainly never explicitly retracted it.