[Peace-discuss] Give nukes a chance

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 21 08:56:51 CST 2005

I really don't see the point of critiquing Bush's current drive to re-frame
the NPT to assure that Iran doesn't develop into a nuclear weapons state:
this is one of the few good things he's done, so it seems irrelevant to me
to helplessly ponder his motivation.

The problem with the Realist school of political scientists, as with their
economist friends, is that the entirety of their line of reasoning is
grounded in the idea that states and their individual citizens all act
"rationally." Rarely do any of these theorists explain what they mean by
"rational," nor do they give any thought to the very complex ways in which
individual minds work and the wide array of values that different people
have throughout the world. If anything, they attempt to transplant a morally
empty western set of values on all people and states throughout the world
under the veil of "rational thinking."

It is an academically incoherent approach to political science, and a
thoroughly perturbing way to deal with the issue of nuclear weapons. To say
that nation-states are more peaceful when they have nuclear weapons ignores
all of the violence brought to the homefront by a society that invests in a
lucrative military industrial complex at the expense of important social
programs. This is the real tragedy of nuclear weapons: for each nuclear
weapon that is built, another community in the United States is starved of
its right to develop into wholesome and productive citizens.

You will never see such "rational" arguments as these in John Mearsheimer's
work, as with soo soo many others who have been faculty at the cankersore of
Chicago's South Side.

A Bientot,
mer