[Peace-discuss] What the US is up to

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 21 18:40:13 CST 2005

[Here we have I believe an illustration of the point that the most
accurate analysis often comes from an acute critic.  --CGE]

	U.S. Using Anti-Terror War to Gain World Oil Reserves
	--Soviet Intelligence Chief
	By MosNews 03/21/05

On the pretext of fighting international terrorism the United States is
trying to establish control over the world's richest oil reserves, Leonid
Shebarshin, ex-chief of the Soviet Foreign Intelligence Service, who heads
the Russian National Economic Security Service consulting company, said in
an interview for the Vremya Novostei newspaper.

Using the anti-terrorist cause as a cover the United States has occupied
Afghanistan, Iraq and will soon move to impose their "democratic order" on
the Greater Middle East, Shebarshin said.  "The U.S. has usurped the right
to attack any part of the globe on the pretext of fighting the terrorist
threat," Shebarshin said.

Referring to his meeting with an unnamed al-Qaeda expert at the Rand
Corporation, a nonprofit research organization in the U.S., Shebarshin
said: "We have agreed that [al-Qaeda] is not a group but a notion."

"The fight against that all-mighty ubiquitous myth deliberately linked to
Islam is of great advantage for the Americans as it targets the oil-rich
Muslim regions," Shebarshin emphasized.

With military bases in Afghanistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan, Shebarshin
said, the United States has already established control over the Caspian
region -- one of the world's largest oil reservoirs.

Copyright © 2004 MOSNEWS.COM