[Peace-discuss] Liberals and Schiavo

Linda Evans veganlinda at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 09:09:45 CST 2005

Just like most issues in the media, we don't have all
the facts.  I don't know the Schiavos, but I do know
my husband.  He would not want to be fed via feeding
tube.  He has made his wishes know many times to me.
We talk about death and what to do in various
situations.  I doubt that Rob's father would know his
wishes or even be respectful of them because his
father is completely disrespectful of his wishes when
life/death issues are not involved.  I would not hand
over custody under any circumstances (that I can dream
up right now) to my father-in-law.

However, I have friends who want to stay "alive" no
matter what.  They want the feeding tubes, etc.  I
don't think blanket statements can be used in these
situations and none of us are qualified to make a
judgment since none of us knew her or have seen all
the details.

What saddens me is the country seems obsessed with one
(white) woman's life or death when scores of people
are dying daily.  None of us have clean hands.  All of
us contribute to the life and death of others.  I will
drive my car today putting toxins into the air for all
of us to breath.  Someone will die from these toxins.
I consume more calories than I need while others in my
own town and around the world die from starvation.  I
gave birth to two humans who will eventually die, yet
I knowingly gave birth knowing that death will be the
only certainty in their lives.  In a way, by giving
life, I also take it.

Linda

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.  ~Albert Einstein