Absent prior notice - was Re: [Peace-discuss] Liberals and Schiavo

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 20:20:17 CST 2005

"C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu> wrote:

Why is it so important for you to
believe it? --CGE

I have a legal background and I know that lawyers can make a mountain out of a quark, and not only that, they can make it take forever. The case has been heard countless times with always the same result.

Further, I find in incomprehensible that anyone who would desire to live in a vegetative state would not make that absolutely clear before it ever happened. I feel this way because I think it is clear that the general population has no desire to be kept alive in such a state, in fact, I think that would be a near-unanimous position if a poll were taken. I think it is asinine and stupid to assume that anyone would want to live in such a condition absent prior evidence of such a wish. Now if one hates his family and wants to put them to the horrific emotional and financial costs of supporting such an existence, maybe I can understand it; but even in that case, it seems to me that the person would make that ghoulish wish known, and known very well, before hand.

So it really isn’t so important to me to believe the specifics, although I do. From everything I can gather, she is in a state that, IMO, no normal person would want to exist in; at least not without having given due notice of that desire before the state came to being.

I guess I am saying that I think the default desire, absent prior notice, is that humans do not want to exist as vegetables and subject their caretakers to the emotional and financial costs involved. And I feel very safe in that assumption.