[Peace-discuss] department of defense funding and scientific research

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Mon May 9 16:09:26 CDT 2005

This is a tough call.

I have a son who just got a grant to do some very abstract pure math
from the NSA (National Security Agency), math which can have no
conceivable(?) relevance to anything that interests that department.
When he told me, I was surprised and not quite elated, but it seemed
innocent enough on the surface. There are many scientists doing pure
research at the national labs (Los Alamos, Argonne, …) not at all
related to military or intelligence  matters, but in working there,
they do tend to support those labs and their general missions, i.e.,
which is to support our defense and offense establishment.  For
example, they would tend to be against closing down those labs. In
other words, once you have a financial stake in the agency you work
for, it colors your attitude to that agency. And it might color any
militancy you might wish to engage in against government policies.
Your grant or your job might then be at risk. Furthermore, there is a
steering effect from the federal agencies; certain fields are
supported, others left to languish; it is not innocent.  It is not
hard to conceive that the research you will be doing may have an
ultimate military application.

Also, I feel that much university academic research is too much in
bed with the government's policies, and I feel that this makes
academics more timid than they would be otherwise to speak our and be
politically active. They could, after all , lose their grants if the
agencies were displeased with what they had to say.

The government wants and needs to be close to the scientific
establishment, and they allow scientists to do all sorts of things so
that they can call on them if/when the need arises. This is part of
the grand military academic industrial complex so often mentioned.

On the other hand, it all depends on your belief in your own
independence, and only you can make the decision. It is not for
others to advise you what to do in your best interest, even if they
disapprove of these funding agencies (as I do). I can only say that
if I had a choice—and that is important—, I would go with some grant,
for example, from the relatively clean NSF rather than an outfit like
DARPA. But some of my best friends have worked for DARPA, and at the
beginning of my career, I got my summer salary from, and my research
was supported by, the Office of Naval Research. One easily get caught
in the web.

Perhaps in this day and age in the USA, one should not become a
scientist if you want truly to be free of these moral/economic dilemmas.

Some thoughts.

Mort B.