[Peace-discuss] W.

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue May 17 10:06:37 CDT 2005

I was thinking that George W's history was no longer very
interesting to our anti-war efforts, since he is no longer
running for office, but I had a change of heart after working
the Farmer's Market last Saturday. George was the main thing
that people who stopped by the table seemed to want to discuss.

In retrospect, I should have known better. The record of
George and his friends is still not adequately known, as
shown by the last election, and making it known should help
(I believe) both immediately and in the long run in opposing
the new-cons.

I do think we need to be very careful to blame the administration
and the arms industry, not the soldiers, if we want to maximize
our effects to promote peace. Going after the POW-MIA flags
or putting out literature that claims 25% non-honorable
discharges doesn't seem to me to be a very good plan if we wish
to have maximum effect for peace rather than just venting our outrage.

Bob