[Peace-discuss] Star Wars

Paul M. King pmking at uiuc.edu
Sat May 21 14:04:29 CDT 2005

Hey all, I thought that maybe the new episode was relevant to
this list and here's why.

The plot is relevant and contemporary and connects with
current political developments in our country. We see a
senate giving too much power to the executive branch. We see
militarization replace diplomacy. We see senatorial control of
the armed forces usurped by a totalitarian dictator. We see a
republic dismantle itself and a democracy disappear.

We see the birth of an empire.

And it is all accomplished through wrenching human traumas of
betrayals and death and war.

We hear a Queen say, "This is how liberty dies - to thunderous
applause."

And we hear a villian snarl to his mentor and master "If
you're not with me, you're my enemy."

Who then replies, "Only a Sith thinks in absolutes."

This is a blockbuster that was not made to be a blockbuster.
It is dark and tragic, convincing and moving, prophetic and
amazing. I believe it capable of effectively communicating
to a mass audience how our political landscape is changing.

Just wanted to encourage anyone who is remotely interested
in this film to go ahead and see it. It is the best of all six
episodes.

..:: paul