[Peace-discuss] The Downing Street Memo/email Bush

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon May 30 13:46:00 CDT 2005

[Rep. Conyers is circulating the letter below and seeking
signatures.  --CGE]

Congressman John Conyers, Jr.

May 27, 2005

Dear Friend:

 As many of you are aware, a classified memo was recently
disclosed in Great Britain that I believe has serious
ramifications for the integrity of the United States
Government.  Dubbed the “Downing Street Memo,” but actually
comprising the minutes of a meeting of Prime Minister Tony
Blair and other top British government officials, the memo
casts serious doubt on many of the contentions of the Bush
Administration in the lead up to the Iraq war.  With over
1,600 U.S. servicemen and servicewomen killed in Iraq, the
deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, and over $200
billion in taxpayer funds going to this war effort, we cannot
afford to stand by any longer.

 Along with 88 of my colleagues, I wrote to the President
requesting answers about this grave matter.  Thus far, our
search for the truth has been stonewalled and I need your
help.  I believe the American people deserve answers about
this matter and should demand directly that the President tell
the truth about the memo.  To that end, I am asking you to
sign on to a letter to the President requesting he answer the
questions posed to him by 89 Members of Congress.

 I will personally insure that this letter is delivered to the
White House.

 You can read the letter and sign it at <www.johnconyers.com>.
 You and I know the White House is just hoping that this
matter will fade away, but in a few short weeks, with our
steadfastness, the memo has found its way into leading
newspapers and White House press briefings.  With your help,
we can hold this Administration accountable.

 Please pass on this important letter to your friends and
colleagues, and ask them to sign as well.

 Thank you for your help and support.

John Conyers, Jr.