[Peace-discuss] Yossi Klein Halevi talk at Allen Hall

Tammy Watts tammyewatts at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 10:50:28 CST 2005

Hello All:

Just a short introduction:  My name is Tammy (Watts) Obeidallah and I am relatively new to the Champaign-Urbana area.  I am an American with a Palestinian husband, and spent significant time living in the Middle East (mostly in Amman, Jordan).

I feel compelled to respond to Michael Shapiro's rabid defense of Yossi Klein Halevi, the ultra-conservative Israeli Zionist who was invited to "discuss" the Palestinian-Israeli conflict at Allen Hall on Oct. 26.  I attended the event as well, and want to reiterate the factual evidence presented by Mr. David Green, along with my own insights.

The issues with Halevi's talk have little to do with his background (Jewish Defense League extremist), but rather with the fact that his much-trumpeted "spiritual journey toward reconciliation" apparently didn't get as far as the next block.  This was evident by the points he made, including the following:

   referring to the Second Intifada as the "Palestinian Terror War"
   refusing to hold Israel accountable for starting the Second Intifada; instead blaming Palestinian suicide bombers and the late president Arafat
   manipulating historical facts in order to demonize Palestinians, i.e. perpetuating the myths of Israel's "generous offers" and stating the Palestinians walked away from the negotiating table at Taba, when in fact it was Barak
   defense of Israel's policy of extra-judicial assassinations
   denial of the number of Palestinian civilian casualties, including children, during Israeli attacks

While Halevi was a proponent of the Gaza withdrawal, he addressed neither the subsequent Israeli land-grab in the West Bank nor the continued construction of the separation barrier (apartheid wall).

When I spoke of my personal experiences in the West Bank and Gaza, Halevi was quick to point out that his complaints weren't against the Palestinian people.  When I contrasted my positive experiences with the near-shooting of my taxi by an Israeli soldier, Halevi was silent.  It is ironic that Halevi claims to care so much about the Palestinian people, yet refuses to condemn human rights violations against them and against American citizens visiting the Occupied Territories.  In his view, the Palestinian "leadership" takes all of the blame for the conflict; the militarily-superior Israel is not culpable.

It saddens me that Michael Shapiro would waste valuable time defending such attitudes, and is compounded by the knowledge that this is the calibre of guest he invites to indoctrinate students to the warped and racist ideology of Zionism, disguised as "tolerance."  How disgusting.  Concerning his personal attack on David Green's character, all I can say is "consider the source" in light of all the information presented.

Tammy Watts-Obeidallah