[Peace-discuss] David Barsamian on Media Matters AM 580 @ 1p Sun, Nov 6th

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Fri Nov 4 23:29:38 CST 2005

Barsamian hangs w/ the best. This will be a great show!

Jenifer C.
Welcome to another edition of the WILL-AM Media Matters email update!

THIS WEEK'S GUEST

Our guest this week is David Barsamian. Barsamian is founder and   director of Alternative Radio, the independent award-winning weekly   series based in Boulder, Colorado. He is a radio producer,   journalist, author and lecturer. He has been working in radio since   1978. His interviews and articles appear regularly in The Progressive and Z Magazine.

His latest books are Imperial Ambitions (with Noam Chomsky) and   Speaking of Empire & Resistance (with Tariq Ali.) His earlier books   include Propaganda and the Public Mind: Conversations with Noam   Chomsky; Eqbal Ahmad: Confronting Empire and The Decline and Fall of   Public Broadcasting.

The Institute for Alternative Journalism named him one of its "Top   Ten Media Heroes." Barsamian lectures on U.S. foreign policy, the   media, propaganda, and corporate power in the U.S., Canada, Brazil,   India and Europe. He is the winner of the ACLU's Upton Sinclair Award  for independent journalism and of a Democracy Media Award.

UPCOMING GUESTS

In coming weeks we will feature Kembrew McLeod, Mark Crispin Miller,   Robert Greenwald, and Sam Husseini.

LAST WEEK'S GUESTS

Last week's guest was Andrew Bacevich, professor of international   relations at Boston University. Dr. Bacevich is the author of The New American Militarism: How Americans Are Seduced by  War (2005).

OTHER INFORMATION

Last August we interviewed local media activists about developments   at the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, such as the   purchase of a building in downtown Urbana and the pending launch of a
new community radio station, WRFU, based at the IMC. WRFU will be   launched as part of a 'radio barnraising' held at the IMC from 11-13   November, in association with the Prometheus Radio Project. More   information is available online:    http://www.radiofreeurbana.org
http://www.prometheusradio.org    http://www.ucimc.org

Former -- and upcoming -- Media Matters guest Robert Greenwald has released a new movie:  WAL-MART, the high cost of low price. There will be a screening on campus @ 7p on Thursday,  November 17th in the Education Building.

ALL OF OUR PAST SHOWS ARE AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE:

http://www.will.uiuc.edu/am/mediamatters/

We hope you find the Media Matters Weekly Update to be useful and informative, and we hope you'll encourage others with an interest in the media to listen to the show and subscribe to the list.

Please contact me w/ your questions or suggestions.

Thanks again for listening!

Andrew Ó Baoill
Producer - Media Matters - WILL-AM 580
andrew at funferal.org