[Peace-discuss] re: approaching local churches

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 6 13:20:29 CST 2005

Reverend Smith raised some important issues in his comments to AWARE.  I
agree that it would appear foolhardy and self-righteous for AWARE to
picket/leaflet a church unless an attempt at dialogue has been made.  The
repercussions of such an act would be to marginalize AWARE and make it
appear like a group of lazy, anti-religious activists, and as a person of
faith, that would sadden me.  There is a huge difference between leafleting
in a public space in downtain Champaign and leafleting churchgoers.  Please
approach the churches first, as Reverend Smith suggests, discuss the issues,
and even ask permission to leaflet the churchgoers.  And if you do leaflet,
make sure that the focus is on being anti-war.  That is, I think, the common
issue for all AWARE members.  If other issues are brought in, such as
abortion, you might see me picketing on the other side.

--Phil

[Peace-discuss] approaching local churches
Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 3 21:21:51 CST 2005

Dear AWARE members,

A few weeks ago we discussed the idea of approaching the
local churches and asking that they speak out against the
occupation of Iraq and for peace, especially during the
holiday season when people of several faiths are reminded to
seek out peace on earth. We set up a working group that is
considering creating a presence outside several local
churches.

Below is what I think will be a typical response from a
church will be. These comments come from a local minister. He
has brought up some good questions, and I offered to share
them with you:

"we are the typical thicket of opinions one finds in
mainstream congregations.  The congregation has NOT taken a
formal stance on this issue.

"The implication of picketing and protesting is that one
party, holding administrative power, has refused to
participate in earnest and open minded dialogue with people
who are powerless. Picketing and protesting then become a
part of a strategy to change power dynamics.  Ethically
speaking, they should occur AFTER attempts have first been
made to hold conversation. Some protests are in the spirit of
Martin Luther King Jr.'s principles he outlined in "Letter
from the Birmingham Jail." Other protests are a parody of his
principles.  Any protest that short circuits a genuine
attempt at initial conversation is questionable in my mind,
even an indication of laziness on the part of the protesters.

"If protesters from AWARE appear in front of [a given] Church,
at this point, it will be interpreted by me as an act of
self-righteousness.

"Up until now, no one from AWARE has approached [a given]
Church and engaged its leaders in genuine dialogue.  We have
received generic mailings and notices from AWARE, but that is
hardly relational or trust building.  Mass mailings do not
constitute the building up of relational foundations that
eventuate in genuine change of people's hearts and political
involvement.  I have yet to see anyone from AWARE approach the
people of [a given church] with political savvy or genuine
interest in personally inviting folks into collaboration on
this issue.

"I also think that AWARE should reconsider what kind of power
resides in congregations.  In other words, what kind of power
do congregations really have to affect the course of political
events.  In my opinion, passing an "official resolution" is
actually an abdication of the real power that congregations
possess.  I would welcome the chance to meet with you over a
cup of coffee and explore this issue further.

"Having said all of the above, please know that these comments
come from someone on your side. I too abhor the war in Iraq.
It is offense and embarrassment to wise and peaceful people
around the world.

"And churches have been sinfully slow in engaging the massive
ungodliness of this war.  We have indeed been attending to
internal institutional issues rather prophetic callings,
compartmentalizing political life from spiritual life, and
underestimating the power of God to effect international
issues as much as private and personal problems.

"And because I am in full support of your passion for peace, I
hope the first PERSONAL encounter people of [a given] Church
have with AWARE will be one of mutuality and respect.  I hope
you will take the time to find out what the people of [a given
church] are already doing in the realm of peacemaking, how the
people of [unnamed] Church understand their own power (and
that AWARE would be respectful of that self-understanding),
and how the people of [a given church] are wrestling through
their own ethical principles about a war that is being fought
in the context of larger and more complex international
issues.  I hope the people of [a given church] will first
experience the people of AWARE as people of faith, passion,
goodwill, determination, spirituality, strength, and humility.

- from Rev. Michael Smith of Grace United Methodist Church on
Philo Rd.