[Peace-discuss] RE: Peace-discuss Digest, Vol 22, Issue 15

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 10:12:09 CST 2005

Hello Jan,

Check the article "Faith Groups' Positions on War With Iraq":

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/121/story_12194_1.html

I'm not sure which Lutheran denomination you belonged to, but here is the
ELCA's position:

Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
The ELCA opposes unilateral military action against Iraq and is a member of
the Win Without War coalition. In a February 13 letter to ELCA leaders from
Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson, the Bishop urged a peaceful solution, in
accordance with the ELCA's social statement, "For Peace in God's World."

I really appreciate your comment that "Maybe the presence outside churches
is not so much for those inside as it is for some of us outside waiting to
see if we will forever remain abandoned."  That is a very honest reaction.
If that is the case, you might selectively want to focus in on the Lutheran
Church, and explain your past involvement with them and that you want to be
in a church you feel comfortable with.  I think that people will be more
likely to listen if you tell them that you are one of them.

Moving on the the article on the documentary, it sounds like the New Life
Church is definitely an un-Christian, hypocritical church.  For such a
church that purports to take the Bible literally, you can definitely use
quotes from the Bible, like the one that says that it's easier for a camel
to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom
of Heaven.  However, you truly have to be sincere in your beliefs.  It does
no good for a non-Christian to be lobbying Christians on this basis, because
if you don't believe in the Bible to begin with, what authority do you have
to correct those who do?  They will ignore you.  You will succeed in ticking
them off, but they will ignore what you have to say and simply point to you
as an example of secular moral decay.  You certainly won't change their
minds.  I'm trying to give you an insider's view of how to change beliefs of
churchgoers.  I'm not completely comfortable doing this, but what I'm
telling you is common sense, and of course I share your beliefs that the
Iraq war and war in general is immoral.

--Phil