[Peace-discuss] Church issue

Dan Schreiber dan at sourcegear.com
Mon Nov 7 15:43:02 CST 2005

It seems to me that the main issue here is to determine what your goals are.

1. If the goal is to make people uncomfortable and probably angry and/or
embarrassed, or if the goal is to punish churches for their hypocrisy, a
demonstration would be appropriate.  It will certainly lead to an exchange
of positions, but not likely a dialogue in the sense of people trying to
understand each other.  It would be akin to the Young Republicans
demonstrating outside the IMC.  It will make the Young Republians feel good
about annoying AWARE, but the demonstration itself wouldn't cause AWARE to
revisit their anti-war stance.

2. If the goal is to change people's minds, the most effective way to do
that is to become someone they trust and respect.  If I've learned anything
over the last 5 years of this long national nightmare, it is that people
will take seriously anything that comes from someone they trust and respect.
I'm not sure how to do this in this instance though.  Perhaps you'd have to
spend some time in the churches you want to change and build up enough trust
so that when you reflect a mirror on them, they would be willing to see
themselves.  Maybe what we need are tolerance missionaries serving in
churches around the world!

Note that I present this without judgement of the goals.  Making people
uncomfortable vs trying to connect with them serves different purposes at
different times.  I just don't believe that a demonstration is a way to
connect with people you disagree with (except in a very negative way).

Dan