[Peace-discuss] the church issue.

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:56:38 CST 2005

Hi Karen,

I'm not disappearing, I'm just climbing off my soap box.  I'll stick around
for questions :-).

>Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:04:36 -0600
>From: Karen Medina <kmedina at uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] the church issue.
>To: peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
>
>Phil,
>
>Don't disappear yet. I have questions!
>
> >Before doing something as drastic as creating an
> >AWARE "presence" outside local churches, dialogue is
> >essential.
>
>What constitutes an attempt at dialogue?

I think that any good faith effort to call the pastor and ask what the
church's position is on the Iraq War would be a good start.  Then if they
say they are opposed to the war, you can ask what steps they are taking to
voice opposition.  If they're not doing anything, you can ask if they'd be
willing to conduct any joint activities with AWARE, etc.  If they say they
don't have any official position on the war, you can ask them why, how could
you convince them to change their minds, etc.  That would seem to be a bare
minimum, just being friendly, concerned, and helpful.  If they are
extraordinarily hostile, or pro-war, and they don't change their minds, you
can then consider what actions (if any) to take.

--Phil